The Town of Hempstead Housing Authority owns and operates 1,309 apartments at 14 separate locations throughout the Town of Hempstead, stretching from the Queens border to the Town of Oyster Bay. The primary goal of the Housing Authority has been, and will continue to be, our commitment to provide safe sanitary housing in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
There are efficiency (EFF) apartments for single persons over the age of 62; one bedroom (l-BR) apartments for couples with head of household 62 years or older and a small number of two bedroom (2-BR) apartments for couples, such as brother/sister or two sisters, etc. The Housing Authority also accepts applicants for family apartments consisting of from two to four bedrooms, available at two of our complexes.
Most apartments include range, refrigerator, tile bath, emergency alarm system, etc. Those developments catering exclusively to senior citizens have air-conditioned recreation/social halls. Activities for residents and community members, coordinated by the Town of Hempstead Department of Senior Enrichment, are available weekdays. Current programs available at complexes for families include a tutorial/enrichment program, which has been recognized by the local school district for its excellence to assist school-age children with homework and a five day per week summer enrichment program for younger children. New programs in development include job training, parenting workshops, and a partnership with Touro College which provides a program for Town of Hempstead Housing Authority residents to pursue a college degree or career path at no cost to students.
The rentals for these apartments will be 30% of income, however, there is a deduction of $480 for each child from the total income. Seniors receive a deduction of $400. Utilities are included for all apartments, except at Roosevelt and East Meadow, where a utility allowance is subtracted from the monthly rent.
You qualify for senior citizen housing if:
- You are currently a resident of an unincorporated area of the Town of Hempstead. Incorporated areas of the Town of Hempsetad are on a second priority basis.
- You are 62 years of age or older, (for senior citizen housing only.)
- Your annual income does not exceed $51,600 for single persons and $58,950 for couples.
You qualify for the large family apartments if:
- You are currently a resident of an unincorporated area of the Town of Hempstead. Incorporated areas of the Town of Hempstead are on a second priority basis.
- You have at least one (l) child or are expecting one.
- Your annual income does not exceed $58,950 for two persons; $66,350 for three persons; $73,700 for four persons; $79,600 for five persons.
The waiting period for an apartment can be 10 years, depending on the size of the family.
|Location of Development||Number of Apartments|
1810 Grand Avenue
2000 Bellmore Avenue
132-158 Elmont Road
|Franklin Square||Dogwood Terrace
1178 Martha Place
339 Bayview Avenue
255 Lawrence Avenue
55 North Newbridge Road
|Oceanside||Mill River Gardens
2900 Rockaway Avenue
2 Babylon Turnpike
750 Jerusalem Avenue
840 Uniondale Avenue
|Valley Stream||Green Acres
400 Flower Road
1150 Seamans Neck Road
460 Salisbury Park Drive