Send to Printer

Clowes Homes

Print
Parent Category: Building & Zoning
Category: Landmarks Preservation
Clowes Homes
Clowes Homes

52 & 54 Orchard Street, Hempstead

The homes were built circa 1868 by Timothy H. Clowes, an architect and prominent land owner in Hempstead. These two prime examples of Victorian architecture stood originally on a site on Alden Place, just north of the Calderone Theater at Franklin Street. The houses were moved to their present location in 1946. In 1947, number 54 was converted to a two-family dwelling to accommodate returning World War II veterans. These outstanding examples of Victorian architecture are constructed of clapboard, with brick porches, and roofs of a fish-scale slate construction known as mansard style. Included in the original portions are metal ceilings which remain in the hall and first floor, the moldings in the interior and exterior of the house, and the stairs.


https://toh.li/landmarks-preservation/clowes-homes
Printed from TOH.LI - The Official Web Site of the Town of Hempstead