Send to Printer

Longman House

Print
Parent Category: Building & Zoning
Category: Landmarks Preservation
Longman House
Longman House

42 William Street, Hempstead

The Longman House was built in 1854 by Benjamin Place and purchased in 1868 by Samuel Longman of Brooklyn, New York for the purpose of "summering" in the country.

A man of some means, and one who could afford a second home, Longman's choice of residence reflected the popular Italianate features of the period. A frieze decorates the structure's front, while the main entrance was built on the side, a design of very late Federal-period architecture.

With a white picket fence invitingly framing its perimeters, one can easily imagine the Longman family lazily passing a summer afternoon on the wrap-around porch. Wendall Johnson, the present owner, spent 20 years restoring the house. Manifesting the results of a lavish and loving restoration, he kept a careful eye on even the smallest detail. The house is Vernacular style.

The exterior has been maintained with faithful attention to its original design. In the interior, Johnson has redone the floors with planking saved from the demolition of the Sunday School of St. George's Episcopal Church in Hempstead. An antique buff, Mr. Johnson has also redecorated his home in authentic period pieces.


https://toh.li/landmarks-preservation/longman-house
Printed from TOH.LI - The Official Web Site of the Town of Hempstead