The Methodist congregation in Hempstead was established in 1812 on what was known as the Jamaica Circuit by the Reverend William Thatcher, an itinerant preacher. Services were held in the home of Stephen C. Bedell.
By 1816, private homes had become too small to house the growing congregation, and a building at the corner of Front and Franklin Streets was utilized. This, too, soon became inadequate, and in 1820 it was decided that a new edifice was required. The new church was dedicated in 1822.
By 1854, the congregation had outgrown its facility once again, and the church and parsonage were sold to finance the construction of the present building. This building was dedicated on June 30, 1855, just two years after the incorporation of the Village of Hempstead. The cost of construction was $15,000. The congregation had grown to 190 members and was the largest Methodist organization east of Jamaica and attracted parishioners from throughout the communities surrounding Hempstead.
A Sunday School building was added to the north of the church in 1866. It was expanded in 1895 and again in the 1960s. The sanctuary remains today in essentially original condition. The church spire is the tallest in the village and one of the tallest in Nassau County.