Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray has been traveling roadways throughout the township, overseeing snow removal operations along local streets. The Supervisor also cautioned residents that roadways are extremely slippery, and extremely cold conditions can make both roadways and sidewalks extremely slippery.
Furthermore, Murray has indicated that the town is opening 16 senior citizen centers as warming centers for those seeking refuge from the frigid weather.
“Our government has continued its proactive practice of having salt spreaders and plows on the roads through the early morning. Our large fleet of plows and other snow removal equipment will remain on duty on local town roadways,” said Supervisor Murray. “At the same time, residents should limit car travel as snow removal crews continue to do their work to make roadways safe.”
“What’s more, we are concerned about the health and well-being of senior citizens and all residents impacted by the record-breaking cold temperatures,” stated Murray. “As a result, we are opening our 16 senior centers as warming centers for the public.”
The following locations will be open as warming centers from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. from Tuesday, February 17th through Friday, February 20th:
- Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Avenue, Baldwin
- Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Avenue, Bellmore
- Cedarhurst Seniors in the Park, 200 Cedarhurst Avenue, Cedarhurst (open until 4:30 p.m.)
- East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front Street, East Meadow
- Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
- Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
- Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
- Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
- Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
- Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Avenue, Oceanside
- Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
- Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
- Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Avenue, Uniondale
- Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Avenue, Uniondale
- Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh
In addition, the Hempstead Senior Center, 260 Clinton Street, Hempstead will be open on Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Murray has requested for residents to remove cars from local roads as the town’s snow removal operation continues. Snowplows can do a more effective job of clearing streets curb-to-curb when vehicles are not restricting full-street access.
The Supervisor cautioned residents to not over exert themselves when removing snow from sidewalks, as the temperatures are frigid, making the task dangerous for people with respiratory and other health issues. Additionally, the Supervisor advised that residents who shovel driveways should place snow to the right of their driveway when facing the road. By doing so, residents can minimize the prospect of having their driveways “plowed-in” with snow after shoveling.
For up-to-date information, residents can visit the Town of Hempstead website at www.TOH.LI. Call Mike Deery at (516) 860-5332 to arrange an interview with Supervisor Murray on snow conditions, snow clearing efforts, etc.