All above ground swimming pool applications shall include the following information:
- A completed building permit application form.
- Three copies of a recent complete (unaltered) survey.
- Two copies of the subject plot plan indicating the required fence enclosure height and location, pool size, shape, location and all remaining dimensions (setbacks) from the pool to the property lines.
- Two sketches of the pool that indicate size, depth and type of construction.
- Two copies of the above ground pool affidavit.
- A Certificate of Workers Compensation or exemption thereof.
Requirements for Swimming Pools
- Pool must be located in the rear yard.
- A four (4) foot setback or more is required to the property line.
- Pool equipment is also required to maintain at least a four (4) foot setback to the property line.
- A setback of a minimum of ten (10) feet horizontally is required from all overhead wires.
- Standing towers, platforms, or freestanding decks are required to be within the four (4) foot setback.
- In the case of a corner lot, the pool must be no closer than ten (10) feet from any line along an abutting street.
- All pools are required to maintain an enclosure by means of a railing, fencing or in the case of a hot tub, a locked safety cover.
- Fencing is required to be a minimum of five (5) and a maximum of six (6) feet, with self-latching and self-closing gates. Fencing is required to adhere to all regulations as stated in the Town Of Hempstead Building Zone Ordinance according to zone.
- Fencing in Residence A, AA, A1, A2, B, BB, BA, and C zones may not for further than the rear of their neighbor's house toward the street.
- Fencing in a Residence LPRD zone may not go further than the front building line toward the street.
- In all Residence zones, fencing when used as a pool enclosure must be non-climbable, Stockade or PVC fencing shall have all horizontal members facing the pool. Chain link fencing may not have mesh larger than 2.25 square inches or may have privacy slats.
- In the case of a dwelling wall used as part of the enclosure, any door opening into the pool area shall be equipped with an alarm with an audible warning, which shall sound continuously for a minimum of thirty (30) seconds when the door is open.
- ANY LOT WHICH IS LOCATED ON A CORNER SHOULD CONSULT WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF BUILDINGS PLAN EXAMINER'S OFFICE IN REGARDS TO THE PROPER LOCATION OF A POOL AND/OR FENCE. CONTACT (516) 489-5000, EXT. 3073.
- The New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code requires that all swimming pools be equipped with an approved pool alarm. (See requirements in Splash Alarms).
The application is a sworn statement. Anyone knowingly entering false information thereon may be guilty of a criminal offense. All information must be typed or printed, cross outs may void the application.
REQUIRED FENCE ENCLOSURE refers to restricted access as indicated in chapter 134 of the Code of the Town of Hempstead. A fence enclosure, access gates, etc. are also required under the provisions of the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, Appendix G.
ELECTRICAL - All electrical work must comply with Article 680 of the National Electric Code, and an Electrical Inspection Certificate must be submitted prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Completion.
PLUMBING - A vacuum breaker is required, which may be installed by the property owner.
It is the policy of this department to abandon and destroy, without notification, any application that has been left dormant by the owner or agent thereof for 90 days. All fees paid in relation to such application will be non-refundable and non-transferable.