Send to Printer

Building Department FAQ

Parent Category: Building & Zoning
Category: Permits & Applications

Are apartments permitted in single-family homes?

In unincorporated areas of the town, Mother-Daughter (Immediate Family Residence) and Senior Citizen Accessory Apartments are the only instances under which apartments are permitted in single-family homes. Proper permits are required and restrictions apply. Under no circumstances are basement apartments permitted. For filing requirements or to acquire an application, please contact the Building Department at (516) 538-8500.

Is a permit required to have a pool?

All pools, whether above ground or in-ground, must have a permit. In addition, safety fencing, pool alarms and other requirements apply to ensure the safety of residents/swimmers. In September of 2008 the Town of Hempstead enacted a law requiring that all pools regardless of when they were installed be equipped with a water surface alarm.

Do home improvements, additions or renovations require a building permit?

Many home improvement projects require building permits. Permits help to ensure your safety. Construction, plumbing and electrical work are areas that fall under the purview of the Town’s Building Department. Call (516) 812-3073 to determine if a planned project requires permits.

During what hours is construction allowed to take place?

The construction including excavation, demolition, alteration, repair or erection of any building is only legal between the hours of 7:00 AM and 6:00 PM on weekdays, except in the case of an emergency, in which case a permit must be secured. Homeowners may operate power saws, drills, grinders, lawn or garden tools, snow blowers and similar devices between 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM on any day. For construction after hours, call the Department of Public Safety after 6:00 PM at (516) 538-1900.

Are unregistered vehicles permitted on residential property?

Unregistered vehicles are prohibited on residential property except when stored inside a garage.

Is a permit required to erect a fence, shed or deck?

In order to erect a fence, deck or shed within the Town of Hempstead, a proper building permit is always required. Please call (516) 812-3073 for more information.

When is a Certificate of Occupancy issued?

No building erected may be occupied or used until a certificate of occupancy has been issued by the Building Department. A Certificate of Completion or Certificate of Occupancy is issued to applicants upon completion of the required structural inspections, mechanical approvals and a final inspection.

What does the Assessment Department record reflect?

The Nassau County Tax Assessor’s records merely reflect what exists on the property and what the property owner is being taxed for. If properties are improved without the benefit of building permits, it does not prohibit the Assessor from taxing these improvements, nor does it make the improvements legal because they are being taxed. Consequently, these records are not intended to reflect what improvements have building permits. If you wish to find out what improvements to your property have been done legally, you may conduct a certificate search at our Front Counter area for a nominal fee.

These regulations/guidelines apply to residents of non-incorporated areas of the Town of Hempstead. Village residents should call their local villages for information on these topics.
Printed from TOH.LI - The Official Web Site of the Town of Hempstead