- A completed Building permit application form. Application forms shall be filled out in their entirety and shall be signed by the property owner, NOT the lessee. All information must be typed or printed. Cross outs will void out application.
- Three (3) copies of a recent complete (unaltered) survey by a licensed land surveyor, showing the plot and all existing buildings and structures.
- Two (2) plot plans indicating the location of the shed, with required setbacks.
- Two (2) sets of construction drawings, prepared in a standard architectural manner to scale of not less than 1/4 inch per foot. If the shed is prefabricated, copies of construction specifications may be accepted in lieu of drawings.
- A shed shall not exceed one hundred forty- four (144) square feet of floor area, nine (9) feet in height maximum, and twelve (12) feet horizontally maximum, unless authorized as a special exception by the Board of Appeals.
- No shed shall be nearer any front property line than forty-five (45) feet and must be at least two (2) feet from the rear and side property lines. Shed must be located in the rear yard.
- Affidavit of no plumbing or electrical shall be required.
- If the application is destined to go before the Board of Appeals, a recent Building Department Record Search Sheet is required.
- In the case of a Board of Zoning Appeals application, four photographs of the dwelling and any/all existing structures on site are required.
In the case of a corner lot, a consultation with the Town of Hempstead Department of Buildings Plan Examiner's Office is suggested to determined the proper location of a shed. Plan examiners are available by appointment Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9 a.m. and noon. Please call (516) 489-5000, ext. 3073.