Issued by: Council Member Dennis Dunne
In an effort to honor those who defend our freedoms and put their lives on the line, Hempstead Town Councilman Dennis Dunne, Sr. and Councilwoman Erin King Sweeney announced that America’s largest township is establishing Active Military reserved parking spaces at popular town facilities. Joining Dunne and King Sweeney at the announcement, which included the unveiling of the first reserved parking sign at Seamans Neck Park in Seaford, was Matthew DeGregorio, Commander of the VFW Post 9592.
“As a Vietnam veteran and a town councilman, I am always looking for ways in which to help those who have answered the call of duty,” said Councilman Dunne. “I am proud to honor those who protect us by providing Active Military parking.”
Councilman Dunne, a former Marine who served in the Vietnam War and a former Director of the Nassau County Veterans Agency, is also president of the Levittown/Island Trees Veterans Council and was the president of the Marine Corps Coordinating Council.
“Active Military members put their lives at risk to protect our lives every day,” added Councilwoman King Sweeney. “They perform selfless work to keep residents safe and in return we can make their day a little easier for them by providing reserved parking spaces for their use at town parks, pools beaches, golf courses and offices.”
Reserved parking for Active Military will be available at the following town facilities:
- Hempstead Town Hall (1 Washington Street, Hempstead)
- Town of Hempstead Dept. of Parks and Recreation (200 North Franklin Avenue, Hempstead)
- Echo Park (399 Nassau Boulevard, West Hempstead)
- Town Park Point Lookout (1300 Lido Boulevard, Point Lookout)
- Town Park Lido Beach (630 Lido Boulevard, Lido Beach)
- Town Park at Malibu (1150 Lido Boulevard, Lido Beach)
- Oceanside Park (3800 Mahlon Brower Drive, Oceanside)
- Baldwin Park (3232 South Grand Avenue, Oceanside)
- Newbridge Road Park (2600 Newbridge Road, Bellmore)
- Seamans Neck Park (2700 South Seamans Neck Road, Seaford)
- Lido Golf Course (255 Lido Boulevard, Lido Beach)
- Merrick Golf Course (2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick)
“Military personnel deserve our respect and gratitude,” concluded Dunne. “I am so proud of our military personnel, and this is one small way in which we can say ‘thank you.’”
Councilman Dennis Dunne, Sr. (right) and Councilwoman Erin King Sweeny (center) are joined by Matthew DeGregorio, Commander of the VFW Post 9592 to erect the Active Military reserved parking sign at Seaman’s Neck Park in Seaford.