Hempstead Town Extends Cooling Centers and Hours for Beaches and Pools on Monday
(HEMPSTEAD, NY) July 1, 2018 - Town of Hempstead officials have announced that cooling centers will be open, and extended hours for Town beaches and pools will remain in effect through Monday, July 2nd 2018.
“The Town will be operating cooling centers and extending pool and beach hours in order to provide relief to residents stuck in the heat and humidity,” said Supervisor Laura Gillen. “Check on elderly friends and neighbors and be sure to take frequent breaks from the sun.”
“Extreme temperatures can be extremely dangerous,” noted Councilwoman Erin King Sweeney. “I encourage all our residents to take advantage of our Town cooling centers and our extended beach and pool hours to help beat the heat.”
“I encourage anyone who doesn’t have air conditioning to stop by one of our senior centers and enjoy the cool air, a refreshing beverage, snacks and some camaraderie,” said Senior Councilwoman Dorothy Goosby. “After hours you can enjoy a nice dip in the pool or at the beach.”
“Please check in on our seniors and young people to ensure they have plenty of fluids and stay as cool as possible,” said Councilman Bruce Blakeman.
“Do not exert yourself in this heat and do whatever you can to stay cool,” said Councilman Dennis Dunne. “Our pools, beaches and senior centers are just the place to cool off.”
“As Cole Porter says, ‘It’s too darn hot. Too darn hot,” said Councilman Ed Ambrosino. “Stay inside in a cool place and call us at 516-812-3179 if you need anything. On the bright side, you don’t have to worry about the snow plow being late. Take it slowly, please.”
“Town pools, beaches and our senior centers offer a great place to cool off, and we urge locals to visit our facilities to help endure these blistering temperatures,” said Councilman Anthony D’Esposito.
Hours of operation will be extended at the following pools:
- Averill Boulevard Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Azaela Road Pool- Closing at 8 p.m.
- BlueGrass Lane Pool - Closing at 8 p.m.
- Hewlett Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Levittown Parkway Pool- Closing at 8 p.m.
- Malibu Beach Club Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Newbridge Road Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Rath Pool (Franklin Sq. Park District) - Closing at 8 p.m.
- Roosevelt Pool - Closing at 7 p.m.
- Slate Lane Pool- Closing at 8 p.m.
- Walker Memorial Pool - Closing at 8 p.m.
Lifeguards will be on Duty for an extra hour (until 7 p.m.) at the following beaches:
- Atlantic Beach Estates
- East Atlantic Beach
- Hewlett Point Park
- Lido Beach Town Park
- Lido Park District
- Lido West Town Park
- Malibu Beach
- Point Lookout Civic Beach
- Town Park Point Lookout
- Town Park at Sands
Town of Hempstead Cooling Centers (until 4:45 pm)
- Baldwin Senior Center
- Bellmore Senior Center
- Cedarhurst Seniors In The Park
- Elmont Senior Center
- Franklin Square Senior Center
- Green Acres Senior Center
- Hempstead Senior Center
- Merrick Senior Center
- Oceanside Senior Center
- Rosa Parks Senior Center
- Uniondale-Hempstead Senior Center
- Uniondale-Merrick Senior Center