Send to Printer

Receiver of Taxes FAQ

Parent Category: Receiver of Taxes
Category: Receiver of Taxes Office

Where is the tax office located?

The Receiver of Taxes Office is located at 200 North Franklin Street, First Floor, Hempstead, NY 11550.

What is the tax office phone number?

(516) 538-1500

How do I get to the tax office?

If you live West of Hempstead:
Hempstead Tpke. (Rte. 24) East, turns into Fulton Street in the Village of Hempstead. LEFT on North Franklin Street. Proceed 3 blocks NORTH, gray building on right, between Bedell Street and Kellum Place.
Southern State Pkwy. East (Exit 19 NORTH - Peninsula Blvd.). Take Peninsula to N. Franklin Street. Left onto N. Franklin St. Go North - 4 blocks, gray building on right.

If you live East of Hempstead:
Take Hempstead Tpke. (Rte. 24) West into Hempstead Village. Right on North Franklin St. Go NORTH 3 blocks, gray building on right.
Southern State Pkwy. West (Exit 19 NORTH - Peninsula Blvd.) Take Peninsula to N. Franklin Street. Left onto N. Franklin St. Go North - 4 blocks, gray building on right.

What taxes does your office collect?

We collect both School and General (County, Town & Special District) taxes.

I live in the City of Long Beach. Do you collect taxes there?
Must I notify your office if I buy a home in Long Beach?

Yes to both questions. Because we collect taxes for the Long Beach School District, you must notify both the Town Receiver and the City Tax Office (431-1000) so that both offices can update their tax billing records. Timely notification will ensure the receipt of a School tax bill with sufficient time for payment within the 40-day grace period.

You do NOT, however, receive a General tax bill from the Town, as the City of Long Beach Tax Office bills you directly for City and County taxes.

What is the penalty for making a late payment?

Payment(s) are due on/or before the last day of the penalty-free 40-day collection period. Payment(s) made after the due dates will be assessed a penalty which will be added in accordance with the penalty schedule located on the back of your tax payment stubs.

What should I check before remitting payment?

  1. Are tax payment stub(s) included in the envelope?
  2. Is check payable to Donald X. Clavin, Jr. Receiver of Taxes?
  3. Is check signed and dated?
  4. Do the "numerical and written" amounts agree?
  5. Are your: SD, Sec, Blk, and Lot(s) numbers written on your check?
  6. Did you affix postage to the envelope?

Why is my check payable to Donald X. Clavin, Jr. Receiver of Taxes?

The Receiver of Taxes is an independently elected official of the Town. As such, the law holds the Receiver of Taxes personally responsible for tax collections their office receives and for ensuring that they are properly distributed to schools, county, town and special tax districts.

What are my payment options?

As always, you may pay your current tax bill in person and by mail. In addition, you may now pay your tax bill on-line or by telephone with your credit card or by electronic check. Payment by credit card will incur a convenience fee of 2.3% of your total tax payment. Please note that a minimum convenience fee of $1.50 applies for credit card transactions. VISA Personal Debit transactions for tax payments are a flat rate fee of $3.95 per transaction. A flat fee of $0.90 will be charged for electronic check payments. These fees are not payable to the Town of Hempstead, but rather to eGov Strategies, the company that processes the credit card and electronic check transactions. Under New York State law, the Receiver of Taxes must collect the full tax amount; therefore the credit card user must incur this fee. View more information about credit card and e-check payments.

You may also pay your taxes by check or money order in the comfort of your car at the EZ-Pay Drive Thru Payment Window located behind the Hempstead Town Tax Office at 200 North Franklin Street.

What should I include when paying by mail?

Do NOT send in the entire tax bill.
Enclose your check in the return envelope provided with the:

  • #1 tax stub, if paying ONLY the 1st Half
  • #2 tax stub, if paying ONLY the 2nd Half
  • #1 and #2 stubs, if paying BOTH the 1st & 2nd Halves

What should I bring when paying in-person?

You MUST bring in the entire tax bill when making payment at our office. Do NOT detach the tax stub(s) from your bill. Upon processing, a receipted tax bill will be returned to you.

Do I get a discount for paying the taxes in full?

Yes, if you pay BOTH the first and second half SCHOOL tax on/or before November 10;
the first and second half GENERAL tax on/or before February 10, you may deduct a one percent discount on the second half tax. The "discounted" amount to pay can be found underneath the "TOTAL TAX" box on your bill(s).

When do I get my tax receipts?

If you pay in-person at our office, you will be issued an immediate receipt for your payment by the tax cashiers.

If you mail your payment, a receipt will be issued shortly after your payment is processed and posted to the tax roll(s).

If you make a payment at a satellite office, mobile tax office or at the EZ-Pay Drive Thru, a temporary receipt will be issued. Your tax receipt will be mailed within seven (7) business days.

For escrowed mortgage accounts, the law requires the Receiver to send tax receipts directly to taxpayers who have their taxes paid by a financial institution or bank. Receipts are issued after the bank's payment is processed and posted to the tax rolls.

What happens if my check is returned from the bank? Do you re-deposit checks?

Checks returned by your bank for any reason will automatically cancel your tax payment and tax receipt issued for same. If your payment is canceled after the penalty-free collection period, you will incur a penalty charge(s). Returned checks will require re-payment by cash, certified or bank check. We do NOT re-deposit checks.

How can I avoid paying penalty?

To avoid paying penalty, your payment envelope MUST be postmarked on/or before the last day of the taxes' penalty-free collection period. By law, ONLY an official U.S. Postal Service cancellation date stamp is acceptable as proof that your payment was mailed on time. A metered postmark is NOT acceptable by law. If making payment close to a tax deadline, we suggest that payment be sent by registered or certified mail, or have the envelope "hand" canceled with the date at your local post office.

I keep forgetting to pay my taxes; what can I do?

You can sign-up for the "Third Party Notification Program." Any taxpayer, 65 years or older, or who is handicapped, and owns a 1,2 or 3 family residential property, may designate a third party to receive a duplicate tax bill on their behalf. The designee is NOT legally responsible for making a tax payment. Please write our office at 200 North Franklin St., Hempstead, NY 11550 to request an application, or click here for the Third Party Notification Request form.

What kind of tax exemptions are there and when do I file?

Homeowners may be eligible to receive a Senior Citizens, Veterans Disability, Home Improvement, or Volunteer Firefighter/Ambulance Personnel exemption. Applications are accepted by the Nassau County Department of Assessment year round. The deadline for filing an exemption with the Nassau County Department of Assessment is January 2nd. For further information or to obtain an application call (516) 571-1500 or visit the Nassau County Assessor's website. New applicants for the STAR Program must register with the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance, rather than applying with the Nassau County Department of Assessment.  New STAR recipients will obtain a credit in the form of a check from the NYS Department of Taxation, rather than receiving a property tax exemption.

I'm buying a house in the Town. What should I ask the owner concerning his property taxes?

When purchasing property, you should ask the real estate agent and/or owner if the property has any tax exemption(s). As the new owner you may not be entitled to an exemption(s), and upon title transfer, the exemption(s) will be removed by the Nassau County Dept. of Assessment. Accordingly, the total amount of taxes you may pay could be significantly different from the amount paid by the previous owner.

I'm a new homeowner. Do I have to contact the tax office?
I just paid off my mortgage. How do I get tax bills?

Yes. New homeowners and taxpayers who have paid off their mortgage should contact this office as soon as possible so that we can update our tax billing records. Failure to notify the tax office timely may result in your having to pay penalty for a late tax payment. Do NOT assume your attorney or financial institution will notify this office. You may click here for the New Owner/Mortgage Satisfaction form.

What information do I need when calling the tax office?
What is a property description?
Where can I get my property description?

When you call you will be asked for your property description so that we can access your records. A property description consists of a School District, Section, Block and Lot(s) numbers. For taxpayers owning a condominium, a Building and Unit number is also required. You can find your property description on your property deed or by contacting the County Dept. of Assessment at (516) 571-2663. Please note that it is the homeowner's responsibility to verify that they are supplying this office with their correct property description in accordance with the Nassau County Tax map. The Tax Office can NOT locate property for you by name or address.

How long after second-half school and general taxes are due can I pay them at the Town Receiver's Office?
Where do I make payment after the tax levy is "closed" at the Receiver's Office?

You may pay your School taxes in the Receiver's Office up-to-and-including May 31st. The General taxes can be paid up-to-and-including August 31st. If you do not pay your taxes by these dates, your payment must be made directly to the Nassau County Treasurer, 1 West Street, Mineola, NY 11501, phone (516) 571-2090.

Are Town and County penalties for late payments the same?

No. Nassau County has adopted a different late penalty schedule than the Town. We, therefore, suggest that you call the Nassau County Treasurer for the correct amount to remit before tendering payment. You may reach the Nassau County Treasurer's Office at (516) 571-2090.

What are "Tax Arrears"?
What should I do if "Tax Arrears" is printed on my tax bill?

If the word "ARREARS" is printed in the upper left-hand corner of your tax bill(s), please contact the Nassau County Treasurer immediately, as this indicates you have an unpaid tax(es) accumulating penalties at their office. You may reach the Nassau County Treasurer's Office at (516) 571-2090.

How does the Town process Small Claims Assessment reductions?

Small Claims Assessment reductions are processed in the order they are received from the County. Taxpayers should continue to pay their tax bills as billed until they receive a corrected tax bill(s) from this office. Any payment(s) made at the higher assessment, will be re-calculated by the County Treasurer's Office and a refund, with interest, issued for the difference owed you. By law, The Town Receiver, can NOT issue refunds due to Small Claims Assessment decisions.

We ask that you do NOT call this office as to the status of your reduction, as the time taken with each caller delays the processing for all.

I won an assessment reduction. Where do I get my refund?
Will I receive my refund from the County Treasurer?
How long does it take to get my refund?

The Nassau County Treasurer's Office is responsible for issuing all refunds due to Small Claims Assessment Decisions.

If you hired a firm/attorney to file your assessment papers, the refund will be sent to the firm/attorney for re-distribution to their clients. If you filed the challenge on your own, the County Treasurer will mail you your refund directly.
Printed from TOH.LI - The Official Web Site of the Town of Hempstead